Contextual alternates are go
I finally got my contextual alternates working! I went back to an OpenType tutorial by Thomas Phinney (the MAN, by the way) and tried adapting the code in the first example. Seems to work…I can get my font to cycle between three alternate ‘e’ characters when they’re set next to each other. This is encouraging progress in the code department.
Another thing I’m getting some practice with is regular expressions. They’re scary to look at, but once you get the hang of them…they’re so damn cool. And you feel like a total badass. A colleague at my internship was teaching me on Friday how to use them in TextWrangler, where they came in very handy.